In a world where you can use your watch to browse the internet or make phone calls, it is hardly surprising the world is becoming smaller. The challenge now for many HR professionals is that they have to advise across multiple jurisdictions for a range of people who are located outside the UK, operating in a country with a different ethos and different laws.
Our experienced employment lawyers can work with your team to ensure a seamless approach that has been carefully planned and meets all your objectives.
Businesses considering expansion are increasingly looking at the opportunities that international markets can provide. Our team of experts can assist businesses to take this next step to achieve a market presence abroad, ensuring that all arrangements tie in with our commercial and competition law advice.
Whether it’s setting up a route to market, recruiting senior leadership to manage your business abroad or relocating your management to an overseas location, Square One Law can assist. We have significant experience of managing cross-border business set up, recruitment and expatriation of staff.
Careful planning at the outset of the project can avoid issues down the line. From providing strategic advice on the most efficient form of legal incorporation for your business to managing the payroll, we can oversee the entire assignment to ensure your initiative is legally compliant and meets your commercial goals.
When establishing an overseas presence businesses should seek legal and immigration advice. Our employment lawyers can help you manage the country specific compliance issues such as taxes and social security. Alongside our team of foreign counsel, we will work with you directly as the sole point of contact to provide the most cost and tax effective solution to employing or relocating your executive management abroad and assist you structure your assignee compensation packages and global mobility policies.
Our team has a strong international background with experience working in Asia, Africa and the EU.
For businesses which have already begun expanding overseas, our team can help you to manage your global presence through resolving conduct issues, performance management, making redundancies and implementing executive terminations.
We regularly advise businesses on:
- implementing the appropriate route to market whether that is through a Foreign Representative Office, Agency, Distribution or Joint Venture arrangements or incorporating a legal entity
- managing a global workforce including working with you to find the correct strategy for successful movement of employees whether it is a short-term, long-term, commuter, secondment or a repatriation programme
- visas, sponsoring migrant workers and the UK Border Agency’s Points Based System
- home country, host country and offshore compensation, benefits, pension, housing and logistical aspects of global assignment
- prevention of illegal working-advice on your legal obligations and systems you can put in place to ensure that you do not incur liability
- amending policies and procedures to incorporate international assignments
- implementing individual and collective exit/termination arrangements
We have been and continue to be impressed with Square One Law’s professionalism and commercially practical approach in enabling us to manage any legal issues domestically and internationally facing the business. Square One Law has a wealth of knowledge and a personal and efficient communication style with us as a client. They understand the importance and urgency of the issues facing our business. We would highly recommend working with them.