The education sector has been the subject of a great deal of change in recent years. Seeing educational institutions charged with delivering higher quality learning experiences and increased access to learning, whilst simultaneously dealing with financial pressures and regulatory changes.
At Square One Law we understand the reality of these changes and the pressure affecting those in the sector.
Our experienced team of education lawyers has a wealth of experience in advising education institutions, from advice on general commercial matters to advice on specific expansion and diversity projects.
Examples of our experience in this sector include advising on:
- a number of partnerships with student accommodation providers
- various employment law and pension issues
- the closure of a final salary pension scheme to future accrual
- the acquisition of Carter & Carter plc which involved the acquisition of 100 properties and completed within ten working days
- due diligence support in a college’s investigations into a potential merger with another
- on-site redevelopments, acquisitions and disposals, all leases and licences
- public procurement matters and applicability to education institutions and their subsidiary entities
- various mergers, joint ventures and asset acquisitions
- property law estate management
- the acquisition by an FE college of two subsidiary training providers and, following acquisition the hive-up of the assets from those subsidiary companies into the college
- the School Teachers Pay and Conditions Document 2013, the effect of TUPE and whether collectively agreed terms were “dynamically” applicable
- the Equality Act 2010 and the duty to make reasonable adjustments for pupils who were diagnosed with dyslexia
- a dispute with the Financial Services Authority regarding funding for sub-contractor learning provision involving arguments of claw back of funds
- various employee consultation obligations